Thursday, May 14, 2009

Birthday Yummies- Finally

Yes, I know, Bennett is almost 13 months old and I am just now posting about his 1st birthday...I think he'll forgive me!:) Anyway, here is the process we went through making his birthday cake and food for his party and the next post has party pics.

Bennett loves blocks so we decided to make a cake that had building blocks on it. We made the letters out of Starbursts and Laffy Taffys that we melted in the microwave for about 10 seconds and then rolled out and pressed with cookie cutters. I can't take the credit for that idea- I saw it in a parenting magazine! They turned out really nice.



All of the letters are done!

Here are the cakes Adam made.


Our first frosted block- we used whipped frosting which didn't make it look very smooth, but was very yummy!

My first attempt at piping (I think that's the term!)

Almost done!

Ta-Da!:) We were so proud- I'm already trying to figure out what kind of cake we will make for Ethan's birthday in August!

Here are a couple pictures of our yummy food that we served. We had spaghetti bake and cheese ravioli with bread and lettuce and snicker salad. It was delicious!:)



3 comments:

Leia H said...

I'm so proud of you taking photos of your cake along the way!! Can I hire you to teach me better penmanship...?? I am terrible, so my letter piping looks like a 5 year old did it!

I think you should build Ethan a car cake for his bday...or maybe a dinosaur? Roar...he says that a lot lately :)

Shawna said...

I love the cookie cutter letters....i bet even I could do that haha...anything beyond the cookie cutters would be bad news for me though :-P Perhaps you'll have to start a cake business!

Chris and Emily said...

That's funny that Bennett's hair does the same thing!!

Cohen doesn't have any teeth yet either!! I wish he'd get some in so he could chew a little better!!

Love the cake by the way!!