Friday, April 17, 2009

A Year Ago...



One year ago today God performed a modern day miracle when my second son was born but let me start at the beginning. I've never put my labor story on the blog, so I thought that this would be the perfect time to do it- the day of Bennett's one year birthday.

On April 15th I thought for sure I was going into labor and that Bennett would be sharing his birthday with his Aunt Erin and Uncle James. Here is my carepage (bthilges) post from that day:

"I am 38 weeks today! Yesterday we had another NST and Bennett did great. I have been having a lot of stronger and more consistent contractions the last couple of days and last night we almost made a trip to the hospital. They have subsided a little bit this morning, but I'm definitely not sure I am going to make it to the 22nd! Please keep praying that I know when it is the real thing, that we make it to the hospital safely, and that the doctors are ready for Bennett- preferably we will be there during the day time hours! Also, I have been struggling with some anxiety about Bennett coming out of me where he is so safe. Pray really hard for him as we go through labor, and pray that I am able to not let the anxiety overwhelm me as I have to be strong for him."

The next day, Wednesday, I was certain (again) that Bennett would be joining us so we took Ethan to daycare and headed down to the Iowa City area so that could be close to the hospital. We stopped at the Coralville Mall (thought the walking might help things along:), ate a spicy meal, and went to a movie...nothing. I remember being SO FRUSTRATED. Actually, frustrated is a huge understatement. To be honest, I was angry as we drove back to Independence. I wanted to be close to the hospital when he came, I was so anxious about that, and after all that we had been through didn't I deserve it? I thought so.

We ended up leaving Ethan at Leia and Ryan's house for the evening just in case and went to bed. Early the next morning, on Thursday, April 17th, I woke up and took a shower and started bleeding, a lot. It just didn't seem right so we called the hospital. They asked us to come down so that they could make sure everything was o.k. This was it! We were on our way, I was sure of it.

When we arrived Bennett and I got attached to a monitor and waited for the doctor. We were so excited to see Dr. R (the ONLY Ob-Gyn that we really had trusted and liked). She wanted us to have a final ultrasound to measure amniotic fluid. In that ultrasound we found that my fluid was the lowest it had ever been and Dr. R was feeling that it was time for him to come out. At that point she was thinking that I would need to have a C-section for Bennett's safety but thought that we could give labor a try to see how Bennett reacted to the contractions.

There were several points during contractions Bennett's heart rate dropped dramatically but we quickly found out that as long as I remained on my side, he handled them pretty well. At 3 cm I decided I could use a epidural (I wanted to actually see what one felt like since the one with Ethan never worked!:). At the U of I hospitals they do a spinal/epidural combo...very nice, and I got to have it done while I layed on my side for Bennett's safety. WOW, that was lovely. I didn't feel a thing!:)

After the epidural, within an hour, I was checked and found to be at 9cm. The time was drawing very close and then the next thing I knew, I wanted to push! I asked the doctor to check and sure enough, Bennett was ready. They quickly called Dr. R who had to RUN from the other side of the hospital to get there in time. I literally pushed Bennett out in 3 pushes.

And he cried.

HE CRIED!!!

They told us to expect respiratory distress due to the extremely low fluid, due to his chest size. They almost guaranteed him to go the NICU- we had a room full of neonatologists to prove it. (Which, by the way, one of them was a dwarf herself!)

They took one look at him and felt that he didn't need anything but observation in the regular nursery for an hour to monitor his oxygen levels. My miracle. I can't even put into words the joy that I felt. God FORCED me to trust in Him, He FORCED me to let go of control, He had a plan...a glorious plan for Bennett.


Bennett, you are here and you are wonderful. I am blessed to be your mommy. You have taught me and so many others so much in your short life already! You are a fighter. Your daddy and I will always stand up for you, we will help you to feel "big" because we know that you have a big heart to share, we will help you love who you are- just the way you are. Every life has hardships, but we can have hope because God has a plan even in the pain that we must endure. He has a plan for you. You are a gift. You are fearfully and wonderfully made. We can have hope for your future, look at how much you have gone through already!

Happy 1st Birthday sweet Benne James! I love you dearly.

3 comments:

Leia H said...

He cried....I'll never forget that phone call. What a wonderful, amazing day. Always our Superman.

Shawna said...

aww....happy one year Benne!

....that post made me even more anxious (as though that's possible!) for Raya to arrive! Where are my stinkin' contractions I tell ya?! :-)

Chris and Emily said...

Tears flow as I relive that moment from a far. I remember once I finally got the update running to tell my husband that Bennett was okay and that he, too, came out crying.


GOD IS GOOD!!

HAPPY ONE YEAR!!! ( a little late!!)

Been praying for all the appointments as well.

Much Love!!!