Sunday, September 26, 2010

Alanna's Birth

On the evening of Thursday, July 29th, I started having fairly regular contractions. However, they were easy to talk through, weren't really getting any stronger, and by the time I had taken a shower before bed, they had subsided. Great, I thought, I will get to go back to my class tomorrow! At 2:30 in the morning, I woke up feeling like I had peed myself...sorry, too much information, I'm sure! With the other 2 boys I had never had my water break on its own, the doctor had always broken it for me, so this was a new, and very strange experience.

We got up and called the hospital right away. They questioned whether or not it was my waters...not sure why, I don't regularly pee myself, but anyway, we headed to the hospital after taking the boys to Leia and Ryan's house.


Here I am, nervously waiting....

After 2 hours of walking the Labor and Delivery floor in the middle of the night, my contractions were actually subsiding again! I felt ridiculous. If my water hadn't had broken, I would still be home waiting for the contractions to get more strong. I think that I was only dialated to 1 cm.
Finally, Dr. Hintz started pitocin and that's when things started happening. Slow at first, and then very, very suddenly!! I swear it took me FOREVER to reach 3 cm, but then I think I went from 3 cm to 9 in only a couple of contractions. I got an epidural, which only numbed my left leg and by the time the anesthesiologist tried to fix his mistake, I was ready to push. Dr. Hintz was doing a D & C procedure...I heard him tell the nurse that he would be done in 10 minutes and he would be back. Ha! He almost missed my delivery! Adam and the nurses were actually trying to get me to NOT push....seriously, NOT push??? Come on people, there isn't any way you can NOT push.

And here is the result, I'm finally writing about it:) Alanna Rae Thilges was born on July 30, 2010 at 1:20pm, 5 pounds 15 ounces, 19 inches long. What a dolly! :) She wasn't due until August 18th, but I would going to be induced on August 5th.






Her face was covered in angel kisses, or stork bites as others would call them. Adam said she looked like Wolverine. Nice daddy. They have already faded quite a bit.



Aunt Kate with cousins Gabbie and Paxton.

Aunt Jamie.

Big Brother Bennett.

Big Brother Ethan.

Leia and Ryan's daughters, Delphina and Arabella.



Aunt Brooke.








A proud daddy and his little girl.

Nana Thilges.

I can't believe I have a beautiful daughter to love. How blessed can I get??!! Thank you God, allow Adam and I to raise her to know how fearfully and wonderfully made she is. She is a gift from you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it true? Your blog is at the top of my blog list b/c there's a new entry! :-) So exciting to hear about her birth...that sounds so much like mine with Raya! My water broke too in the middle of the night and then I waited forever to dialate to 3, but went 3-10 in 20 minutes! I'm so happy you have a little girl now....enjoy her!!!
~Shawna

Lisa Perry said...

She is beautiful Emily! Thanks for sharing your story!